One of the main characteristics of Filipino kakanin is that it can be a meal in itself. Some Pinoy kakanin are made with glutinous rice so your daily dose of carbs is already ensured. SUMAN is one Filipino delicacy that we cannot just let pass. Who would let SUMAN covered in sugar sit on the table uneaten? Learn this recipe now!
What You Need
- 2 cups white glutinous rice rice
- 400 ml coconut milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- banana leaves for wrapping
What To Do
- Rinse the rice with water until the water runs clear and drain.
- Combine rice, coconut milk, sugar, and salt in a heavy pot. Bring to a boil.
- Lower down heat and simmer for 30 minutes while stirring constantly.
- The rice is done when it becomes almost dry and very sticky. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the banana leaves for wrapping. Scoop some of the rice mixture and roll on the banana leaf in a small stick-like shape. Fold the edges to secure. Repeat until the rice mixture is all used up.
- Arrange the suman in a steamer and steam for 45 minutes.
- Remove from steamer and serve with sugar.