The Holy Week is coming up and most of us Filipinos would practice a little abstinence. Here’s a healthier but equally delicious alternative to our usual meals during this Lenten season. Who knows? You might want to keep on making this STEAMED LAPU-LAPU even on normal days!
What You Need
- 1 medium-sized lapu-lapu, cleaned and salted
- 4 slices of lemon (or dayap)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 3 tbsp ginger, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp lemon zest, grated
- ½ cup water
What To Do
- Lay the fish over an aluminum foil. Make sure that the foil is large enough to cover the entire fish.
- Slit the bottom part of the fish to make an opening and stuff slices of lemon and 2 tablespoons of ginger strips. Close the foil securely.
- Place the foil-covered fish in a steamer and steam for 20-30 minutes.
- While the fish is steaming, pour in lemon juice in a heated saucepan.
- Add the sugar and stir until it completely dissolves in the lemon juice.
- Add water and bring to a boil
- Add the lemon zest and the remaining ginger strips. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Remove the fish from the steamer and the aluminum foil cover and transfer to a serving plate.
- Distribute the sauce over the fish and garnish with cilantro.