There’s just something about PALABOK that wows us. Most of Filipino handaan serve this simple-looking but delicious-tasting noodle dish. The process might seem a little complicated but it’s very satisfying when you finally get to eat what you worked hard for. Learn how you can make PANCIT PALABOK with this Pinoy recipe.
What You Need
- 200 grams rice noodles
- for the sauce:
- 1 tbsp annatto powder
- 5 cups shrimp stock
- 2 pcs shrimp bouillon
- 2 tbsp reserved bacon grease
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tbsp reserved garlic oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- for the toppings:
- 200 grams shrimps, cooked and peeled
- 200 grams fried bacon, diced
- 1 cup chicharon, crushed
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- calamansi, sliced
What To Do
- In a large bowl, soak rice noodles in water for 3 minutes. Drain well.
- Boil 6 cups of water in a pot. Add noodles and cook for 1 minute. Drain well.
- Divide noodles into serving portions and place on plates. Spoon sauce over noodles and top with toppings of your preference. Serve.For the Sauce
- Chop shrimp heads coarsely. Boil shrimp heads with 4 cups of water over medium heat. Skim any foam on top.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 more minutes. With a fine mesh, strain liquid and discard shrimp solids.
- Combine shrimp stock, reserved garlic oil, shrimp bouillon, and annatto water. Stir until bouillon and annatto powder is dissolved.
- In a sauce pot, heat reserved bacon grease over medium heat. Add flour and cook. Stir constantly for 3 minutes until golden.
- Gradually add the annatto mixture while whisking vigorously.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer in low heat. Cook for 8 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper.