Lengua in White Mushroom Sauce
One of the most unique characteristics of Filipino cuisine is that nothing comes to waste. Almost every kind of meat has a corresponding Pinoy recipe. Lengua in White Mushroom Sauce is a proof that Filipinos can make delicious dish with whatever is available in the market. With this creamy dish, you’ll surely be asking for more rice! Learn how to make Lengua below.
What You Need
- 1 kg lengua (ox tongue)
- 3 cups beef broth or stock
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 large white onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 6 cups water (for boiling)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
What To Do
- In a pressure cooker, boil ox tongue in 6 cups of water for 40 minutes. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can use a regular pot and boil the ox tongue for an hour or two or until it is tender.
- Remove from pot or cooker and let it cool. Peel the outer layer off and slice the ox tongue into thin pieces.
- In another cooking pot, heat oil under medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic.
- Add the sliced lengua and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the condensed cream of mushroom and beef broth and stir. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 35 minutes with the lid on.
- Add sliced mushrooms and whipping cream. Continue simmering for 40 minutes in low heat or until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add salt and pepper according to preference.
- Serve warm on a serving plate.