La Paz Batchoy
We just love to sip hot soup wherever we are or whatever the weather is. This could explain why there are a lot of snack counters all over the country that offer La Paz Batchoy. Well-cooked noodles, tender meat, and flavorful soup are what constitute this very delicious soup dish! Learn how you can make La Paz Batchoy at your very own kitchen.
What You Need
- 1 ½ kg pork bones
- 1 kg beef bones (with marrow)
- ½ kg pork shoulder
- ¼ kg pork intestines, cleaned
- ¼ kg pork liver
- 1 small red onion, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp sautéed shrimp paste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- rock salt and pepper
- pork cracklings (chicharon), crushed
- fried garlic bits
- green onions
- whole raw egg (optional)
What To Do
- In a pot, boil the bones in enough water that will cover it. Regularly, skim the scum that floats on top. Boil for 10 minutes and drain and discard the liquid.
- With cold running water, rinse the bones to get rid of any scum. Put enough cold water in the pot and boil the bones again. If there are still scum floating, skim it. Lower the heat and simmer for about 3 hours with the lid on.
- Strain the broth and set aside to cool a little. Scrape off any attached meat and marrow from the bones and set aside. Discard the bones.
- Boil the broth again and add pork shoulder and intestines. Cook for about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the pot when cooked and slice into strips when the cool down a bit.
- Do Step 4 for the liver but cook it for around 7-10 minutes only.
- With the hot broth on the pot, add onions and garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add the shrimp paste next and stir until they are evenly distributed. Adjust the taste with rock salt and pepper.
- In a saucepot, boil 3 quarts of the broth. Submerge noodles for about 30-40 seconds and then drain well.
- Divide into serving bowls. Ladle hot broth over noodles and top with sliced pork, intestines, liver, and scraps of meat from the bones. Garnish with chicharon, fried garlic bits, and green onions. If preferred, crack a raw egg in each bowl. Serve hot.