The Philippines has already known about CHICKAN INASAL, thanks to a few restaurants who serve it as their main dish getting popular. Who could resist the very intense savory flavor of this grilled treat paired with a Filipino traditional sawsawan? Here’s how you can make CHICKEN INASAL right in your own home without spending too much on eating out!
What You Need
- 2 stalks lemon grass
- 1 head garlic
- ½ cup palm vinegar
- ¼ cup calamansi juice
- 1 thumb-size ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 whole chicken, each split into two
- annatto oil:
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup annatto seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, pounded
- 1 bay leaf
What To Do
- Peel the lemon grass until the white and light green portions are left. Chop the lemon grass finely.
- Separate the cloves of the garlic head and peel. Using a blender, process the cloves until pureed.
- Combine vinegar, calamansi juice, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, sugar, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Whisk until well-blended.
- Add the chicken and cover the bowl. Marinate for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator, turning the chicken every 30 minutes.
- Combine ingredients for annatto oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until oil starts to bubble. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 1 hour. Strain oil with a fine mesh sieve and set aside. Discard the aromatics.
- Take out chicken and drain from marinade. Wipe down aromatics.
- Grease the grill and put over hot coals. Arrange chicken in a single layer with the skin side up.
- Star grilling the chicken, turning once or twice each side. Make sure to baste regularly with annatto oil. Do this for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and rest for 5 minutes.
- Chicken Inasal is best served with java rice and spiced vinegar.