What could be a better way to spend the cold days at home with a bowl of hot soup or porridge? This lutong Pinoy recipe is a crowd favorite and we dare to say that you aren’t a true blue Filipino if you haven’t eaten ARROZ CALDO. Let’s learn how to make this hearty Filipino rice congee.
What You Need
- 1 kg of chicken (any part of your preference but chicken thighs are preferred)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 thumb-size ginger, cut into strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 ½ cups uncooked rice, washed and drained
- 7 cups water
- chopped green onions
- saffron (optional)
- hard boiled eggs (optional)
What To Do
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to the chicken pieces.
- In a pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Sauté ginger and onions until onions have become translucent.
- Add chicken pieces and cook until meat has lost its pink color.
- Add fish sauce and continue stirring to distribute flavor.
- Add rice and mix.
- Pour in water and stir to mix ingredient. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. TIP: For more flavor, use chicken stock instead of water.
- Add eggs if preferred and adjust the taste according to your preference using fish sauce and salt.
- Serve hot with chopped green onions.